Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Advantages to Being an Independent Publisher, by Donna Miesbach

I always thought that to be published with any amount of credibility you had to go through a "mainstream" publisher, but I've changed my mind. I'm finding that the advantages of being an "independent" publisher far outweigh having the name of a "big" publisher on your book, at least when it comes to what we've published so far.

Working as an independent publisher guarantees that your book will be available as long as you feel there is a market for it. You also have the freedom to make sure that the book is produced in a manner that truly portrays what you are trying to say. Being able to have a voice in all the many details, such as how the cover is designed, and how the pages are set up, is important to me. In other words, I can move forward knowing that the finished product will be a clear reflection of the book's message.

This is not to say I would not ever work with a "big name" publisher, but right now, with the longevity I feel our book is going to require, being an independent is definitely the way to go.
I feel truly blessed to have found people to guide me through the process, people who truly excel at what they do. Together we are making a difference.

Donna Miesbach
Co-author, Coaching for a Bigger Win, A Playbook for Coaches
www.donnamiesbach.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask your questions here, or send your self publishing questions via email to lisa@conciergemarketing.com. Thanks!